Dogs are highly loyal, intelligent and excellent companion animals, anyone who has ever been privileged enough to love one, will agree! The pure joy and excitement you receive when you walk in the door after a long day or the willingness to snuggle up next to you on the couch, speaks volumes.
With the privilege of dog ownership; also comes responsibility. Dogs are dependent on their humans for their every need: food, shelter and affection – to name a few. If you are actively considering adding a furry companion to your family, you need to decide whether you are able to give them the attention and care they deserve. If you already have a fur friend in your family, you need to consider whether or not you are fulfilling your obligations as his/her “pawrent”.
Some basic responsibilities of dog ownership, are listed below:
1. Exercise – do you know how much exercise your dog needs, based on breed and age? What about feeding a healthy and balanced diet?
2. Regular veterinarian check ups – this is important to monitor any allergies, illnesses, dental health and any other health issues that arise.
3. Pet insurance – are you financially able to provide for a sick or injured dog? Have you considered adding a pet insurance policy to help with any unexpected costs?
4. Safe haven – is your dog covered and safe in the elements?
5. Spay and neuter – if you adopt a dog, are you prepared and committed to having him/her spayed or neutered to prevent further overpopulation?
6. ID tags – will you put a collar on with your pets contact information in case of an emergency?
7. LOTS and LOTS of snuggles and play time!
Stay tuned for more information about proper and responsible dog ownership throughout September!